Monday, February 9, 2009


Greetings from Thailand! We arrived safely yesterday after an overnight delay in Tokyo while they fixed an airplane. (Didn't see much other than a bus and a hotel and a few disgruntled travelers).

Thailand is as amazing as Mr. Schlichting made it out to be. He has been taking us around showing us several sites within the city, and just outside. Last night we were able to see the night markets in action, it's amazing how many people can sell how much stuff in one area.

I got an opportunity to work on my bargaining skills today in the floating markets. Shops on the edges of canals, and actually in boats on the canals that sell anything you want. I was able to find a few gifts for people, and haggle my way into actually purchasing the items.

Spent today there as well as at the Thai Cultural Center, where we saw a wonderful presentation about Thai culture. We also went to an elephant park where I got the opportunity to ride an elephant. (Pictures to come as soon as a recharge the camera. I took so many that it died at one point today)!

Thank you to those of you who are following the blog and posting comments; I truly enjoy hearing from you.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are now in Thailand, Russ, and I have enjoyed reading Fred's updates.
    I look forward to seeing your pictures so we can also visualize what you are experiencing.
    Any language anecdotes/stories you can tell us about?
    Take care,
    Jeri Pearson

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look very regal on top of the elephant, Russ. I'm glad your trip went well, other than stopping over in Tokyo. Keep your eye out for interesting creatures. We'll be interested to hear about them. It's raining here, on Feb. 10th, of all things. Have a great day. I look forward to your updates! Jan L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow that is awesome...riding an elephant, living a day into backwards from us and bargaining..and staying in tokyio....well have an awesome trip!
    Jackie S

    ReplyDelete