Sunday, February 15, 2009

soaking in a hot sulphur spring

As Kuhn Russ mentioned, it was a fantastic weekend! For me, visiting inside Laos again was super. Laos is a communist country with a government that still rejects many western ideology. It is very rural, poor, and without the infrastructure found in most other countries. Most people live a subsistence life of farming small plots of land. I got to try a whiskey with a cobra floating in it and also a whiskey that also included tiger testicles....very interesting!!

With all of the eating we have been doing, we are ready for major modifications to Mr. Garays menu to include some most unusual soups with floating fish meatballs or maybe slivered octopus!!

On our way south after lunch Russ and Judy and their hosts headed back home.....I had a major treat as Mr. Tawin, his wife and son, Ceasar, headed to a spa. This area has natural sulphur hot springs. They use part of the hot springs to generate electricity. They also have a resort area where you can view the geysers, have a hot foot bath in a natural hot stream, or get your own private hot tub with hit mineral water. It was so relaxing. I think everyone will notice tomorrow that I look 20 years younger!!!

Back to work tomorrow at the school. I am at the small high school in Ban Mai by myself tomorrow and I have to address the student body in Thai!!! I have been working on my talk and practiced it tonight in the car coming home from Northern Thailand.

Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment