Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thai Temples and Palaces


Another tour of several Thai sites today! We took a boat up and across the Chao Phraya River to visit two of famous Buddhist temples. We went to several Buddhist Temples. We started at Temple Arun (Temple of the Dawn). This fascinating Mosaic temple created with broken plates that were salvaged from the ballast of ships. The plates then glued to the concrete to create amazingly intricate patterns. Our temple visits afforded us the opportunities to see the famed Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho.

We then went to the Grand Palace where we saw the Emerald Buddha along with a great deal of history of the current royal line. They are have truly an amazing history.

We finished our tour with a tuk-tuk ride (it's a good thing Fred knows some Thai to be able to barter with these drivers! We took the tuk-tuk to the Dusit Palace and the Vimanek Teak Palace. It is truly an amazing structure.

Fred and I have been fitted for our suits in a great tailor's shop in a hotel down the street from ours. I'm excited. This is my big gift to myself for my trip.

Our whirlwind tour of Bangkok has been amazing. This is definitly a city that never sleeps, ever. There's always something, going on, there's always traffic, but more importantly there's always life. I can see why Fred really likes it here. It is vibrant and excited and the people here are really great.

We leave to head to the schools up north tomorrow. I'm excited to meet the teachers that we will be sharing this exchange with, and to be back in the school life. Looking at our agenda, it appears there is a lot planned for us, and we will have ample opportunities to see and learn about the schools in norhtern Thailand.

1 comment:

  1. Great picture of you on the elephant, Russ!
    Sounds like you are seeing and doing a lot - wonderful!
    I look forward to more of your photos, especially when you get to the schools.
    A little advice I have learned from my travels - make sure to take pictures of people, not just the amazing sights you see. (Although you have to be respectful of taking pictures of strangers, some people may not want their photos taken.) I find that when I return from a trip I want to remember the people I met and pictures help that. Also I've learned that if you can't decide whether or not you should buy a certain souvenir or not, go for it, because when you get home you may regret not buying it!
    Have fun,
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete