Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Muangchaliang Rhong Ree an (School)

Rhong Ree an means School in Thai. We traveled by slow, slow, slow train yesterday from Bangkok in the South of Thailand to Sawankhalok located in the Sukhothai Province of North Central Thailand. We were met at the station by Mr. Tawin, Mr. Chusak, Ms. Ratree and several other staff from the schools. We then went to a hotel for a Thai Banquet with at least 8 different Thai dishes..... My favorite is Tom Ka Kai----a spicy soup with coconut milk base, lemongrass, vegetables and chicken....oh, it is so delicious .

Lots of introductions, drinking of beer, conversation, and finally it is time for Karaoke!!!! I had to join Mr. Tawin singing For the Good Times....we were pretty good. The three of us joined Ms. Ratree singing Top of the World....Russ is a pretty good singer and I think he could be a guest preformer with the Solon Choir.

This morning I was awakened by loud Thai music being broadcast on the village speakers at 4:30 am!!!!!! They were awkening people because of a special early morning event with the village monks......oh, how I had forgotten all these little things!!! Kuhn Russ and Kuhn Judy are living in the "city" of Si Satchanalai so they did not experience this early morning joy.

We are now at the school Muangchaliang School......2,000 students in grades 7-12. There is a morning roll call with prayer, announcements and morning exercise. As part of the announcements I was introduced and then used my Thai to greet the students, tell them we are from America, introduce Russ and Judy, and finally I told them I only speak a little Thai so they should practice their English skills by talking with us.

Later today we will meet the department heads of this school and then head to visit two other schools we will be working in.

For me, it has been like an old homecomming. It is great to be back with these gracious friends. That is it for now, but I did notice last night that Russ was eyeing up some of those Thai women...Le Ann, that should make you happy.

Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment