Thursday, February 12, 2009

Warm Welcomes



Following our warm welcome of the past couple of days, we are back at Muangchaliang School this morning. This is the first chance I've had to add to the blog, but Fred has been keeping you well informed! I've truly been enjoying this so far. The students and staff here are great. I've been walking around campus, greeting students in English and talking to some of them. Some of them speak English quite well.

I'm currently living with Mr. Chusak and his wife in Si Satchanalai, near the school. Just a few block drive each day. Today we will get to tour some of the quite historical areas this afternoon. They have been very gracious about welcoming me into their home and yesterday made me a wonderful American Breakfast consisting of fried eggs and three different kinds of breakfast meats. They wanted to be good hosts for their American visitor. I did convince them today to cook us a more traditional breakfast, which they did. We were joined by Karen, a Fullbright teacher from Philadelphia who has been a great resource for us while we are here, and enjoyed a wonderful sampling of traditional Thai breakfast fare, which seemed somehow appropriate after awakening to the sound of Monks chanting.

I've been enjoying every facet of this culture. It is very relaxed, and the people here are very warm and caring and go out of there way to make you feel comfortable and welcome. The schools here have amazing campuses with most passing areas actually outside between buildings. I do find it interesting that anywhere we are introduced, including my overall introduction to the student body here at Muangchaliang included the word "single". So LeeAnn, I think you're rubbing off on Fred a bit :).




Pictured here are Fred Judy and I eating lunch with the staff leaders at Muangchaliang School,and some of the agriculture students work at Sawan Anan Wittaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment